Often at the weekend, I cook something nice for my family. While I was looking through Rachel Allen's Favourite Food At Home, I came across this recipe. I've always been a fan of Macaroni Cheese and when I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. This taste delicious with salad.
75g (3oz) butter
1 onion, peeled and chopped
75g (3oz) plain flour
900ml (1½ pints) boiling milk
1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
225g (8oz) cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
300g (11oz) macaroni pasta
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, add the chopped onions and cook gently until soft.
- Stir in the flour and cook for minute, then add the milk gradually, whisking all the time, and the mustard.
- Whisk in three-quarters of the cheese and allow to melt into the sauce, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the pasta with a teaspoon of salt, until just soft.
- Drain the pasta, and then toss into the cheese sauce and transfer into a gratin dish, about 25cm (10in) square.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and pop under a grill for a few minutes to brown the cheese on top, or if you wish, put the aside for later.
- Put the dish into an oven preheated to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 to reheat. Leave in for about 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.